Monday, July 7, 2014

A Day in St. Louis

After what felt like the quickest plane ride, we landed in Phoenix, Arizona and we caught a flight from there to St. Louis, Missouri. The plane ride felt like it was short because I was asleep for three out of the four hours that we were in the air. The journey was fun for me mostly because it has been about three years since I've last been on a plane and I was excited to be back in the air again. Our only hiccup was when we landed in Phoenix, Arizona and we had to switch planes. We had about 30 minutes before the next plane was going to take off so we all let out our inner speed walker and bolted for the next gate. Luckily, our plane had a flat tire and our flight got delayed. After this, it was a smooth ride to the city of St. Louis.

Getting out of the airport I realized something very very quickly, it is extremely hot and humid in St. Louis. I took a deep breath in hoping that would help me organize myself a little bit better but it only made me a little more uncomfortable since I breathed in really stuffy air. The weather over here reminded me of how it is back home in Nigeria, keeping this in mind, I figured that I could handle the heat and humidity so I decided to suck it up and put on a happy face.

After being shuttled to our hotel, we got our room keys and went up to freshen up a little bit before we went out and about. Later, my lovely roommate and I Alexa made our way over to the snack room to meet up with the rest of our cohort. Once we were all accounted for, we made our way down to the train and rode it to the Gateway Arch. This arch is the tallest man made monument in the United States standing at 630 feet and was built as a monument to the westward expansion of the U.S.. Under the Arch and down a tunnel, you can make your way into a museum built under the Arch. Around it too were other touristy type things to do but the museum was my favorite because of the way that it was organized and the way that they paid attention to detail. 

As our day began to wind down, we decided to go out to Anthonino's Taverna and we had what I feel was the best pasta I've ever eaten in my entire life. 
The Gateway Arch
We were all pretty tired so we decided to call it a day and head back to our rooms and get ready for tomorrow. 

In the morning, we have our tour of Washington University and an info session after that. I'm really excited for this because we only got to see a glimpse of the university and I would really like to walk around more and explore the school. Later tomorrow night, we have our dinner with an alumni and some students who are currently attending Washington University. It will be interesting to see how all of their experiences at the university differ and to see what they personally got out of attending Washington University. As I will be going into my senior year next year I am eager to listen to whatever advice they have and any tips they are willing to give on applying to college next year. 

1 comment:

  1. Was that photo of the Arch taken with my camera? Nice photo.

    But you wrote about the best pasta you’ve ever eaten and not a single photo? You’re breaking my heart, Oyin.