Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tuesday Speaker

Today in my sustainability class, we had a guest speaker come in and talk to us. His name was Drew Solomon and he was a volunteer for The Climate Reality Project, a non-profit organization involved in education and advocacy on climate change. Him coming to our class today was all voluntary and he had to take off from his day job to do this.

Drew's presentation showed the reality of climate change and how it is effecting the environment and how we are all in the middle of this. He highlighted all the recent natural disasters that have occurred all over the world. Disasters like floods, hurricanes, and landslides were some that were shown in a very real way. I was aware that all of this was happening all over the world but the severity of it all didn't hit me until I saw the pictures from the places that suffered from the natural disasters. After his presentation, we compared the information that was given to us by him to the presentation that was given to us in Carbon Nation. I liked the Climate Reality Project presentation more because it made the climate issue more real and it had a lot more compelling proof.

After our Q&A with Drew, we did our presentation on alternate energy. I was very excited to do this because I feel like I have gotten better at public speaking and I wanted to see if it was good. My presentation skills have definitely improved from the first time that I presented for the class. I had all my facts together and the delivery was confident and educated. After all the presentations, we were given $10 million hypothetical dollars to invest in whatever form of alternate energy presented to us. I was really skeptical that anyone would invest in us because fracking, which was ours, isn't very regulated right now and there are a lot of risks that come from it due to this. Surprisingly, we got $13 million dollars invested in us. 

I did a lot better with speaking and asking questions in class today. I sat closer to the teacher and I put myself out there more even though there could be a slight chance that I was wrong. I feel like this made The afternoon portion of class go by much quicker and before I knew it, class was over. I went to Dani's room to work on my homework with my cohort. I wanted to get as much as I could done because we were going out later to get deep dish pizza with Alie. Once our car was outside, we got in and drove into the city to Gino's Pizza. We ordered a vegetarian pizza and a meaty pizza. The wait was kind of long but it was worth it. It felt nice to leave the campus and go out for a change.
Deep Dish Pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment