Monday, July 28, 2014

Presentation Day

I woke up this morning at about 6:45 AM. My alarm was supposed to go off an hour later but for some reason, my body decided to wake up before my alarm went off. I didn't want to get up right then so I laid in bed reading Game of Thrones until I decided to get ready for the day. 

I rushed my breakfast this morning because I wanted to get to class early so that I could review some stuff for my presentation. It wasn't necessary for me to rush because when I got to class, the door was locked and we couldn't get in. My professor went to find the keys but the set that she was given didn't work either. One of the other students went on the hunt for a set of keys that worked. My class is right next to the American Law and Litigation kids so we killed time by making jokes about suing the school for locking us out.

When the doors were finally unlocked, we went inside and we started on our BRICs presentation. We partnered up and we had to research a country. The objective was to answer questions on if they were sustainable and how much the government is supporting sustainable infrastructure. Me and my partner Barbara decided to take South Africa and Mexico and compare their sustainability efforts. This time when I was presenting, I paid more attention to what I was saying and I noticed whenever I would say 'like' and I tried to catch myself and use a different word. I think I did a good job because I counted only a few instances that I said the word. I feel like our presentation went great and our teacher even said that our, "research and examples around government-supported renewable programs was particularly strong."

After everyone in the class gave their presentations, we were given discussion questions on Enough is Enough that we could look at over lunch and we were going to have a discussion about it when we came back from lunch. After lunch, two ladies, Victoria Zimmerman and Rachel Sherman, who worked for McDonalds in sustainable supply chain department came and talked to us. They talked about McDonald's shared value in that they take both the company and the people's interest into account when they are running their company. One thing that the ladies said really surprised me. They said that within the company, 60% of the people who are c level executives have worked in a McDonalds restaurant and it is seen as a badge of honor.
Class Outside
We ended the afternoon portion of our class by having a discussion on Enough is Enough in one of the courtyards in our building. It was a really nice day because it wasn't too hot and it wasn't too cold. This made it very enjoyable to finish our class outside. After class was over, I went to my dorm room to start reading our second book Strategy for Sustainability: A Business Manifesto but I accidentally fell asleep. Luckily Alexa woke me up and reminded me that I needed to eat dinner. After eating dinner, I spent the rest of my night reading the book before deciding to call it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment